8/12/11

l'amour pour l'eternite

There are probably three things integral to my relationship: food, travel and laughter. So when David (my fiance) called and asked me to take a weekend trip to Maine to sample some lobster, it seemed like a natural request and I was quick to agree.

We arrived in Portland, Maine on Friday afternoon, dropped off our luggage at a beautifully kept bed & breakfast and set out to explore - we visited Victoria Mansion, dined at J's Oyster (highly recommended) and walked the streets of the city. We spent a lazy Saturday morning dozing in our bed and sharing little jokes over a cup of coffee. As we started getting ready for the day, David suggested that complete one of the top items of my "to-do ASAP list". I've been in love with lighthouses for as long as I can remember and, as a result, have been the butt of many a bad joke for probably just as long - although I love lighthouses, I'd never actually been to one. I was finally going to get a chance to visit the lighthouses I'd dreamed about!

We pulled up at Spring Point lighthouse - a small lighthouse with an amazing view and a long jetty leading up to the main house. Because I was wearing heels, a staple in my life but not well-suited for walking across jutting rocks, I was clutching David's arm as we walked across the jetty. Finally, we arrived at the tip of the jetty and looked out into the ocean. I guess it was at this point that I knew something special was going to happen - David wasn't looking at the amazing view instead, he was looking at me. While the words he said are personal, the sentiment expressed in them isn't. He loved me. We'd been together for 8 years and he wanted to continue building on those years forever. He literally took my breath away.

No comments: